He Eateth Grass

by Black Thought

Another Asher Levy Vignette. We're about to get into some...some things...

When I was eight years old there was this kid, I don’t remember his name, something Irish sounding I think. But anyway, there was this White kid who lived down the street from the playground. He was about as pale as chalk and he had this really bright red hair and about a million freckles all over his face. I never knew him too well, just knew that we went to the same school. So one day this kid takes his dad’s 9 millimeter and puts it into his backpack, walks down to the playground, sits on the metal merry-go-round and blows his brains out. I heard he was laughing right before he did it too. Funny, sometimes I think I know how he feels. Err…felt I mean. Maybe he knew something the rest of us don’t.

Whenever I think about that kid murdering himself, his brains and bones and blood and stuff all over that merry-go-round where I used to play, it makes me think about this drawing I made a few years ago. It was sort of a comic-book style drawing. I did it in ink instead of pencil, which is weird for me. In fact now that I think about it, I drew it in ink because I wanted to find somebody to color it for me, you know like a professional comic-book colorer guy who can make it look the way it’s supposed to.

The drawing is of this biblical monster. It’s about a hundred feet tall or something. Looks kinda like a real skinny cow with no fur and you can see its ribs through its skin. The monster was walking through the city and you could see a tenement building being crushed underneath one of its cloven hooves. It had these big eyes and its lips were all curled back over its teeth so you could see mangled human limbs caught between them like blades of grass. Blades of grass from grazing on fields of corpses. It’s ears were all gnarled and gross looking, and its nostrils were flaring like it was laughing at something. I pictured it with glowing orange eyes like hot coals and black skin. And the sky behind it would be red with black clouds of smog spiraling behind it. Maybe a flash of lightening to go with it too, I don’t know maybe that’d be too much.

It’s kinda hard to explain, but whenever I hear about people blowin their brains out in a playground or like some school bus full of kids getting blown up in some middle-eastern country or something like that; I picture a monster like the one in my picture. It’s roaming around the earth, clumsily crushing people’s homes with its big feet. Rubble, blood and dead bodies all mashed up underneath its hooves. But the crazy thing is, while it’s causing all this destruction people don’t ever notice it. It’s like they ignore it or something. Sure they’ll cry when their houses get destroyed or when their kid ends up dead or something, but they don’t even pay any sort of attention to the monster that did it. It’s like willful ignorance or something. People are dumb, asshole actors. Sometimes I wish a giant monster would come by and crush their houses to show em all how stupid their little lives really are. Jerks!

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:04 am
Mell wrote a review...

Wow! This is a really moving piece. I really liked it.

You gave your main character a really good voice. I actually felt I could understand him.
You had a couple of grammar mistakes but it's probably because your character would write this way. Anyhow, nothing serious.

All in all, I think this is a very good work and I'm sorry I can't give you any tips, I just can't find anything wrong with it.

Keep up the good work,
Mell

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 am
Lena.Wooldridge wrote a review...

I can't believe that nobody has commented on this yet! I must say that I absolutely love your voice in this. It gives the reader a very strong sense of your character.

It’s ears were all gnarled and gross looking

There is no apostrophe in "its." I know it's silly, but the only time you use an apostrophe in that sort of thing is when you are literally saying "it is." This mistake occurs throughout your story.

up in some middle-eastern country or something like that; I picture a monster like the one in my picture.
The semi-colon in this phrase should just be a comma. This is not a style thing, it is literally a grammatical error. Some people choose to leave excessive semi-colons in even after I tell them to take them out! Like 80% of people on this website use semi-colons wrong. The rule of thumb is that each side of a semi-colon must be able to stand on its own as a full sentence. The first half of this phrase, "It’s kinda hard to explain, but whenever I hear about people blowin their brains out in a playground or like some school bus full of kids getting blown up in some middle-eastern country or something like that," is actually not a full sentence. I get that its a huge run-on and adding in the second half with a comma makes it even more so, but the run-ons also give the reader a good idea of the way your character thinks :)

One more thing... Is your character named Asher Levy?
Yeah, I'm going to ask you to change the name. I was under the impression that your character was black, and Asher is a Jewish name. (Haha, an African Jew... It's like in Superbad... haha...). And there is already a novel published in which the main character is named Asher Lev. The title is literally "My Name is Asher Lev," and its about a young Jewish artist living in Brooklyn (?) It's actually an acclaimed book, I got it off some college list. So yeah, I'd pick a more original name.

Hope that was helpful! Sorry if it was a little wordy, haha.
Lena

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.